Friday, June 11, 2004

Nora and the Four 'Mat's

I had a good talk with Nora last night. We were talking about relationships and all, men and women things, when she brought up (again) the idea that her grandmother used to tell her time and time again when she was young.

" Orang perempuan ni kena ada 4 'mat'
1. JiMat
2. CerMat
3. KhidMat
4. HorMat "

"All women should have these 4 things :-
1. Economical
2. Conscientious
3. Service
4. Respect "

Ohh.. how Nora hates the words of wisdom of her late grandmother. She just couldnt get it for a fact that why does the concept was stressed only on women and not men.

"I hate it ! Why do they have to shove the idea on women. Why cant they just say something like 'All of us (men and women) should have these 4 things ..?"

Looking back I think the feeling of resentment Nora has goes back to her younger days when her parents favoured her younger brother as to the other 3 sisters. The brother would always get the best and was spoilt by her father. Favouring the sons is always the norm in Asian culture.

I would only be laughing everytime she keeps on rambling about her garndmother's words. I have nothing against that concept, in fact I'm for it. I adhere to the idea that women should be submissive to men, the husbands I mean. You could say that I'm a bit conservative here, but I really think the wives especially should apply the concept, particularly on the last one "respect". But then again there would always be an arguement on what kind of men or husbands who should deserve the respect.

I think women play a very important role in being mothers and wives. Applying those 4 ideas would do no harm. I once heard from a friend, that it is a must for every Jew women to study up to the university level. It doesnt matter if they get the jobs or not after studying, but to have a high level of education is considered significant, because mothers are the ones who would mould the future generation. Even in America, the ones teaching in the pre-school sometimes do have Master degrees. Ever wonder when here in Malaysia, those teachings in the pre-school are sometimes SRP/PMR (lower level of secondary school) leavers. Cant blame them, where in the world in Malaysia can u find a Master degree holder who wants to be paid RM500-00 a month to teach those kindergarten kids ? RM500-00 is considerd high if compared to some pre-school in rural areas where the pay is as little as RM200-00.

Again, as I mentioned in my previous post, a wife is the Prime Minister of the house who plays a very important role behind a King. They should know how to manage the money, the children and of course the husband. I remember the wording of Toula's mother in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"

"Your father may be the head of the family, but I am the neck; I can make the head turn wherever I like"

No comments: