Wednesday, January 21, 2004

I like Indonesia, especially Indonesians, the people of Indonesia. My keen and respect for them started when I was in Form 5, when History of Indonesia was part of the syllabus. I might have forgotten some facts from the history book, but the admiration still lives on till this day.

They fought for their independence, and with their own blood. I have to admit I felt a slight dissapointment that Malaysia got our independance by mere talks and obligating ourselves to what the British had carefully and subtly outlined for us. I have this idea that the price of our independence would not be the same had we gained it through our own blood so that we can tell the children to walk on the ground with proud and love because the blood that built your country today are still flowing throughout the country. Thats what Indonesians have been telling their children and their generation to come.

There was one time when I had the chance to join my campus educational trip to Medan and Acheh somewhere in 1991. I began to observe the Indonesia students' thought; their maturity and their intelligence awed me. I'm not saying that Malaysians are not up to the standard, but I feel that we lack something. I sensed pride and confidence in their caharacteristic. Proud of themselves as Indonesians and confidence of their own capabalities. I began to appreciate the language as well, so smooth. I dont know whether its because of the language itself or is it because of their flow of thoughts.

During that trip, on our way to Acheh from Medan, we stopped by at one of the schools (I've forgotten the name). They put us on the stage where we had to introduce ourselves and gave some briefings about our students council and some other stuffs like the objectives of the trip and so on to the whole school. There was this one guy from our group, (me and Nada, my friend were not really fond of him ; just for the record during some brief intro prior this session, he told all of us and the Indonesian Students who were our host where we were staying, that his ambition was to be the Prime Minister of Malaysia ; duh !) who took the lead in briefing the students and he did include about ABIM activities as well and its strong connection with the Malaysia government (of which was very irrelevnat as the trip had nothing to do with ABIM in the first place; its just because most of the committees were ABIM members). His briefing was very simple and he touched only the surface but he looked very arrogant.

One student from the crowd suddenly stood up . He was actually supposed to ask question, but he ended up briefing us back the whole history of ABIM and the detail story of Anwar (Ibrahim)'s first involvemment with UMNO and the frustration of ABIM's top members at that time of Anwar's big step, while giving his own comments on the issue. Ohh he really put us in hot seats, but I was loving every moment of it and to watch Nik's (the ABIM man) face turned red, it was great. The Indonesia student was really prepared and he knew "our" stuffs. I was amazed and from then on, I'm hooked! !.

I was so happy and amazed when I first found out that Indonesians start to vote at the age of 17, which to me shows a lot. It means that by the age of 17 they would have to think about politics irregardless the fact that some merely love the fun of the parade and coloring their faces during election times. The thing is they know they can make a difference to their country with their one vote. While here in Malaysia, youre not supposed to talk about politics even when youre a university student *sob* *sob* *sob*. Indonesia tought their children to be brave, to stand for what you believe, to fight for justice and be proud of it and the phase of "Reformasi" time showed it all. I was so excited of the whole thing, to join the chat session with the Indonesia students discussing about reformasi . If only I were there I that time, I would have surely joined the rally.

But I know its not about excitement in Indonesia. What I see from here is not the same. Its a struggle everyday even just to make a living. If youre from a well to do family youre blessed, if not , youre lucky just to be able to have lunch today. Its not easy to take care of 234,893,453 (July 2003 est.) people. You just have to make use all that you have even if you only have to depend on mere pride and the fighter in you.



No comments: