Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jack 'n' Jill Went Up The Hill

I finally join a cycling group, here in Jitra. They had been pestering me to join them for quite some times. Not that I wasn't interested, its just that I would be the only female in the group. Its not really the 'in' thing here in this small town to find a girl/lady/woman in a company of a group of men.

But after some thoughts, I said "Why not ?" as long as I know the boundaries ....

Actually they are MTB group. That's one of the reasons I decided to join them rather than the "roadies" . With my speed limit at 27km/h I think I wouldn't be left alone behind the pack because for MTBs even at 27km/h it is considered above average speed, I think.

The group has their cycling session at nite, taking the hilly route behind and around Jitra along the road of Tanah Merah to Bukit Wang and and sometimes the Guar Napai route, of which will only be around 30km. They would ride every other night without fail, subject to the weather, but still there are times when rain just cant stop them.

Ok. I m not really a strong cyclist and hills are not my usual playground. But with the group ,I have been introduced officially with this one steep hill. It was not really a proper introduction but rather more like a surprise encounter. That first night, I was cycling with only four of the group. The road was not that bad and since it was at night I couldn't really see whats in store at the front. I was coming down from a small hill and was really enjoying the descend when I started to feel some struggling pedalling. It was suddenly getting harder to push the pedal. I pushed and pushed but it was really difficult ... the boys told me to go slow, but I was not slowing, I was struggling to actually move because I had come to a halt.

"Bukit gila apa hampa bawa nih...?"

I had no choice but to unclip the pedal and get down from the bike. I had to push the bike and surrender the climbing.

The next day, out of curiousity I drove to that site of the hill to have a look and see what it was actually like.

Even the cars have to use first gear and motorbikes too have a hard time climbing this


"Masya Allah bukit ni depa nak suruh aku kayuh semalam !
Had it been daytime I wouldnt have climbed in the first place
I would have got down and walk !"


But still the look of the hill didn't scare me to try the climbing during my second session with the group. Tentulah tak boleh juga kan ... Aku bukan Aini.

During the third session, I was already praying "Ya Qawwiy, Ya Qawwiy" right from the corner before the road to the hill. And when I reached the hill, I could see the boys were already climbing. One of them stayed with me and was helping me on how to do it. I pushed and pushed with some encouragement from him

"Tekan lagi Ann, tekan kuat lagi ..."

..... I pushed and I could feel the heat building up inside my thigh and I pushed and tried to push, left and right, left and right ... and ... suddenly

eaokkkk ....eerrkkkkkk eahhhhhh ...

... BOOM ...

I fell down
(dengan penuh manja dan sopan gitu...)

together with my mentor behind who was following me closely .. We apparently had no time to unclip ! Alhamdulillah we didn't tumble down like Jack 'n' Jill.


So u see... I told you, hills are not my playground.

But secretly I hope to conquer that hill one day. Insya Allah.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sopan dan manja...???? auwwww... couldn't imagine...

a.n.i.Q.u.e said...

ya begitulah kalau dah perempuan melayu terakhir ....

jatuh dengan paha tertutup dan jelingan manja pada basikal dengan bunga di telinga ...

muahahahahaha <--- ini bukan saya yg gelak ...

:-P

Anonymous said...

bunga sekali...???

ahahaha

Jgn sampai jadik mcm mamat ni sudah --> http://istumbled.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/cat-invisible-bike.jpg

:)

Aku... CikSekut said...

ye ye ann...

i dapat bayangkan mcm mana u jatuh gaya manja tu sb dulu masa u jatuh kat traffic light i dah try imagine... sama je la kut thehehehe...

i can't imagine la if i try to daki bukit tonggeng (as budak2 uitm call) kat dalam kawasan uitm shah alam... u die mannnn tu bukan jack & jill lagi dah... tak caya tanya ciken muahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Kesian dia..biasa la jatuh gerek tu..lama2 mesti terer.
Duk tunggu Cik Pretty masuk Malakoff Powerman. Nak bagi sokongan ni. Bila nak isi borang?

-blue-

a.n.i.Q.u.e said...

Aliza: itu bukan naik basikal .. itu namanya 'rayan' kalau bhs kedah

Yan: hah.. u mai sini nanti i bawa tunjuk kat u bukit gila tu !

Blue: lamanya tak jumpa awak.... Apa kabar sekarang ? Powerman ..tulah pasal kalau tajuknya PowerWoman .. sure i masuk ... keh keh keh .. alasan yang sangat bijak ...

:P

bola2api said...

weh.. menarik bukit ni. time century ride kat ipoh, ada satu part tuh, bukit camni aa.. 2,3 berturut2 hahaha.. pening makchik sekejap..

easy does it. use gear yg ringan skit pastu spin kaki mcm kipas.. slow tapi insya allah sampai dgn selamat :)

a.n.i.Q.u.e said...

Aini: Dah habis gear dah.... tak boleh juga .... Compact lagi .. patut pakai yang Granny's Crank saja layaknya haku nih....

spin mcm kipas .. ??? erkkkkk ...

:-P